One of the common errors encountered by QuickBooks users is that QuickBooks cannot communicate with the company file due to a firewall. The user’s connection to the company file is blocked by the Windows firewall, which results in a server communication issue. The company file is often saved on the Server computer, also known as the Host computer, which users must access from their workstations when QuickBooks is configured to run in multi-user mode. The server, which resembles a massive workstation with high configuration and lightning-fast speed, houses the organization’s most important data.
Let us dig deeper and get to the root cause of this error. In the later sections, we shall discuss the solutions to resolve this error.
Causes that provoke the communication error in the Company File
The list of potential causes for the QuickBooks issue “Cannot communicate with the Company File” is unraveled below.
- Incorrect Firewall installation or configuration on the network.
- A lost server connection with wrong setup parameters.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager issues.
- Damaged or missing QuickBooks -related file.
- QuickBooks uses a damaged ND file to access a company file on the internet.
- QuickBooks may display the error message “Cannot interact with Company File” if DNS settings are incorrect.
Solutions for uprooting the communication issue with the company file
Having got a rudimentary know-how about the error, let us now go through, and implement the below given solutions to fix this error.
Solution 1: Get QuickBooks updated to its Latest Version
Every time the software is updated, new features and bug fixes are included, which instantly fix many problems. To download the update, follow the instructions below.
- On your computer, hit on the Start menu
- Launch QuickBooks in Administrator mode.
- Opt for the Run as Administrator option after right-clicking the company file.
- By hitting on Ctrl, the QuickBooks No Company Open screen can be accessed.
- To update QuickBooks Desktop, choose the Update option from the Help menu.
- Hit on Update QuickBooks Desktop
- After that, pick the Options tab, mark everything, and tap on Save.
- Select the Reset Update checkbox on the Update Now tab.
- To download the updates, tap on getting Updates.
- If the issue still exists after updating the software, jump to the subsequent solution.
Solution 2: Enable Company file folder Permissions
The permission to transfer files across the network should be granted to the folder containing the company file. Follow the instructions below to set the folder permissions correctly:
- Locate the company file’s folder and perform a right-click.
- Next, opt for Security under the Properties option.
- Choose QBDataServiceUserXX by hitting on Edit and then choose Full Control.
- Access to QuickBooks Desktop Folder with Full Control
- To save the changes, hit on Allow and then choose Apply.
- To save the changes, hit on OK at the end.
- Attempt to open the business file now. If the error persists, use the following troubleshooting technique.
Solution 3: The QuickBooks Tool Hub can help you out
Run the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool after first downloading QuickBooks Tool Hub. It will correct typical file problems in the QuickBooks Desktop and run a mini-repair on your firewall and server. Wait for the troubleshooting to be completed before attempting to open the company file in QuickBooks once more. Continue to the next remedy if QuickBooks can still not access the company file on the server.
Solution 4: Make sure Database Server Manager is operating on the Server PC
Your QuickBooks company file is stored on a server computer, whereas other devices are called workstations.
- Verify QuickBooks Tool Hub is set up on the server computer, then hit on the Network Issues.
- Choose QuickBooks Database Server Manager once more.
- Hit the Start Scan tab in the QuickBooks Database Server Manager to search for any files or folders that may be visible. If not, navigate to where your company file is located.
- Once the Scan is complete, wait for QBDBMgrN to fix the firewall permission problems automatically.
- Near completion of the process; verify that any communication problems between QuickBooks and the Company File have been resolved.
Solution 5: Configure the Settings of the firewall
QuickBooks must be manually excluded from Firewall settings. QuickBooks may be prevented from connecting to the servers by your firewall. Check whether the error is fixed by including QuickBooks in the list of exclusions for Firewall security. Continue to the next solution if the QuickBooks Cannot Communicate with the Company File problem still exists.
Solution 6: Check that Only Hosting PC Has access to the Multi-User mode
The workstations’ Host Multi-User Access option must be disabled. It can only be hosted by the system that houses your QuickBooks company file.
- Launch QuickBooks Desktop.
- Instead of opening company files, choose the File menu and hit the Utilities option.
- Afterward, opt for the Stop Hosting Multi-User Access option.
- If the Host Multi-User Access option appears, proceed to the following workstation and perform the same procedure.
You may also read : ICO Resizer : How to Resize Your ICO For Free
There is no reason to be concerned if the problem persists even after all the actions mentioned above. Call our QuickBooks error and speak with our certified QuickBooks expert. Our committed specialists will assist you in determining the best course of action needed to resolve the Cannot Communicate with the Company File due to a firewall error.