Surgical instruments such as surgical scissors have vast techniques and methods of implementation in surgical procedures. Their functions range from lacerating soft tissues and major organs to managing non-biological items. These scissors stitching materials and adhesive wound dressings and bandages. The technical guidelines regarding scissors are essential to keep in mind. For instance, accurate placement of blade on the wound site, edgy blades for the precise tissue incisions. Dull and low-quality surgical scissors should not be utilized during any surgery as well.
Points To Remember While Buying Surgical Scissors
The structure of the surgical scissors consists of blades, handles, and top-quality stainless steel. Some guidelines which are important to remember while making a choice for surgical scissors are mentioned below:
- They are best for reaching out to constricted areas like the eyes and nasal cavity. The blades of such scissors are made thin to easily go to the right places and conduct pertinent surgical activities accordingly.
- In some surgical procedures, it is important to protect the tissues beneath the biological structures from any infection. In order to do this, the surgeon should choose surgical scissors having tips that have a bent appearance.
Major Types Of Scissors
- Mayo’s straight scissors: These surgical scissors are either flat or bent to work according to the type of surgery they are being used in.
- Metzenbaum dissecting scissors: Used for treating sensitive tissues and important biological structures. Sometimes, it is critical to lacerate the tissue sites and work on them, and for this reason, Metzenbaum scissors are suitable.
- Mayo’s curved scissors: This type of mayo’s surgical scissors helps in penetrating the tissues located far away from the upper skin surface.
Points Of Inspection Of Surgical Scissors
The well-timed maintenance and appropriate monitoring of surgical instruments are very important. Checking the durability, cleaning, and sterilization is also crucial. These are contributing factors to enhancing their performance during complicated and time-consuming surgeries.
- Rings: Surgical tools having rings or circular metallic counterparts need to be properly lubricated and repaired if there are any gaps in them to keep them from getting retarded.
- Blunt tips: The nature of tips vary according to the nature of the surgery. Blunt tips are for not interrupting the sensitive and delicate anatomical structures like mucous and cellular membranes. Sharp tips are for precise incision of organs, skin layers.
- Blades: This counterpart of different surgical tools has identical functions. The blades should be sharp, and corrosion-free. These should be properly maintained, repaired, and sterilized for better functioning.
- Screw/Hinge area: Cellular debris and bloodstains can retard this particular area of the surgical tools. Disinfecting with a solution is another way to clean the surgical tools.
Maintenance And Care Of Surgical Scissors
Not only the pre-operative care of surgical scissors is essential for their lifespan. But we also have to work on post-operative care simultaneously. This includes cleaning machines that use disinfecting solutions, moisturizing sprays, and enzymatic solutions. Then drying them off with a soft, clean towel.
One can make sure the performance of tools by implementing the techniques in the routine monitoring of surgical scissors.
Following are the four steps to meticulously administer the use of surgical scissors:
- The general and typical way to hold and implement the surgical scissors is to place them between the right thumb and ring finger.
- If a surgeon can not lift the desired structure, then he has to reconsider the type of surgical scissors and the blade they have.
- For appropriate use, scissors should be firm in their position and fixed; they should not be too tight or too loose during the surgical procedure.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there any difference between surgical and suture scissors?
Suture scissors are helpful in applying or removing the stitches. While the surgical scissors are useful in operations to cut or dissect the soft tissues.
What is the function of Mayo scissors?
These are beneficial to use while cutting the fascia, sutures, or connective tissues.
If you are looking for quality surgical instruments then visit GerMedUSA Inc. It manufactures and supplies Hi level bandage scissors, suture scissors, lister bandage scissors. Many other surgical instruments are available in different designs and shapes.