Are you going to have your plastic surgery soon? Then this plastic surgery preparation guide will be of great help to you. It is a meaningful life-changing surgery. Therefore, it’s necessary that it goes smoothly. It’s also normal for you to feel a bit anxious about the procedure. To keep such fears away try following this pre-plastic surgery guide.
Pre-Operation Guidelines for Plastic Surgery for Fast Recovery
There are certain dos and don’ts when it comes to pre-operative care instructions. They help to avoid side effects and ensure a quick recovery. And such guidelines vary per different time frames as given below.
One Month Prior to the Surgery
- Important Tests- In one month before surgery, you will need to take some tests from your physician. Surgeons need these tests to make sure that they are fit for undergoing surgery. Otherwise, it could lead to many complications.
- Quit Smoking- It’s essential that you quit smoking at least three to four months before surgery. Smoking hampers healing and lowers blood circulation. Every plastic surgery preparation guide contains this advice.
- No pregnancy- Women need to ensure that they are not pregnant before undergoing the surgery.
- Avoid Alcohol- It would be better if you could quit consuming alcohol in the prior month. If it’s too difficult for you, try consuming it in a limited amount only.
- Skincare- You will have to take intensive care of your skin. Stop using too many facial products and chemical treatments. Try to avoid tanning as much as possible.
One Week Prior to the Surgery
- Personal Needs- Most Pre-operation guidelines for plastic surgery often tend to ignore this advice. But it’s highly important. Take care of your personal needs since you will need rest for some time after surgery. Arrange the bill payments, house cleaning, transportation, and everything beforehand.
- Avoid particular medicines intake- Avoid medicines including ibuprofen, aspirin, Vitamin E, blood-thinners, and herbal supplements. It is because they lead to prolonged bleeding. Tylenol is safe to use though in emergencies.
- Quit caffeine and alcohol- You will need to avoid alcohol and caffeine in any form strictly for three days prior to the surgery.
- Antibacterial soap- Use antibacterial soap for taking a bath one day before the surgery.
- Personal hygiene- It is advisable for breast surgery patients to not shave their armpits three days before. And patients with facial surgery should use wax removal products and keep their ears clean.
- Light Food Intake- Remember that you can’t consume food within six hours of the surgery. And before that have only a light meal. Taking a light protein snack is advisable.
- Report any instant illness- Don’t shy away from reporting any infection or cold that you acquire in the prior week.
- Prepare for after effects- After effects like constipation and irregular menstrual cycle are common. Therefore prepare yourself beforehand by drinking adequate water and having fruits. Also, keep fiber bulkers and stool softener ready for use later.
Frequently Asked Questions Pre-Operative Care Instructions
Even after all the above preoperative instructions for plastic surgery, people still have lots of questions. The most frequently asked among them along with their answers are as follows:
- Can you drink water or coffee before the surgery?
Clear liquids are safe to consume until two hours before surgery. As for caffeine, small amounts don’t usually affect much. Still avoid caffeine intake if possible.
- What disqualifies you from plastic surgery?
Almost every plastic surgery preparation guide mentions the following factors as disqualifying:
- High blood pressure, obesity, and heart disease
- Drug use
- Previous surgical complication
- Previous anesthesia problems
- What should I eat after plastic surgery?
Drinking lots of water is a must after undergoing plastic surgery. And have as much fruits, vegetables, Omega-3 fats, spinach, eggs, and spices as possible. They will ensure that you don’t develop any side effects after the surgery. Intake of extra-virgin olive oil, avocado, and almond butter will also be good as an anti-inflammatory measure.
- What should I avoid after plastic surgery?
You should avoid intake of sugar, salt, alcohol, caffeine, and refined carbohydrates for at least one month after surgery. And you can resume taking any herbal supplements and vitamins after three days of plastic surgery.
- How much money is needed for plastic surgery?
- How long does it take to heal from plastic surgery?
Mostly, the initial swelling starts healing in about 2 weeks of surgery. But it can take six to twelve months for the wound to heal.
Plastic surgery is not taboo anymore. Therefore, anyone wanting to get plastic surgery can do so without any social concerns. But we advise you to take all the necessary precautions prior to the surgery like this plastic surgery preparation guide.