To begin with, ETL refers to Extract, Load & Transform and it is the practice of extracting data, transforming the information, and loading the data. ETL testing ensures that the data is loaded from a source to a destination after an accurate and precise transformation. There are a few types of ETL testing which are as follows.
- New Data Warehouse Testing
- Production Validation Testing
- Source to Target Testing
- Application Upgrade
- Metadata Testing
- Data Accuracy Testing
- Data Quality Testing
- Incremental ETL Testing
- GUI/Navigation Testing:
- Migration Testing
- Change Requests
- Report Testing
Tasks Performed in ETL Testing
ETL testing process takes place in five different stages. Above all, it is useful in identifying data sources and requirements and it also helps in Data recovery. In addition, it implements dimensional modeling and business logic and helps in building and populating data. Last but not the least, it is useful in building reports. To further know about these tasks, one can visit ETL Testing Training Institute in Noida. Given below are some of the tasks that are performed in the ETL testing process.
- Understanding the data that is useful for reporting.
- Reviewing the data model.
- Mapping of the source into the target
- Checking the data in the source data
- Validating the packages and schema
- Conducting data verification in the target system.
- Verifying the aggregation rules and data transformation calculation
- Comparing data between the target system and data source
- Examining quality and data integrity
- Conducting the performance testing of data.
Benefits Of ETL Testing
ETL improves the quality of data and helps in making business decisions. In addition, it ensures that only standard quality and accurate data is saved in the production servers. Moreover, it reduces the chances of data loss by avoiding the risk factor of data loss. Furthermore, it allows users to check the data and provides them access at any time. There are many ETL Testing Training Institute in Delhi and one can enroll in them to learn this skill and start a career in it. Apart from these, given below are some of the benefits of conducting ETL Testing.
- Helps in extracting or receiving data from any data sources at the same time.
- Can load the data from heterogeneous sources to a single generalized target at the same time
- Is capable of loading different types of goals at the same time.
- Can extract required business data from various sources.
- It can load business data into the different targets in the desired format.
- Above all, ETL can perform any data transformation as per the business needs.
How to Find the Best ETL Testing Tool?
Using ETL tools help in increasing IT productivity and simplifying the process of retrieving information from big data. In addition, they extract & process the data to gain insights and eliminate the requirement of labor-intensive traditional programming methods. Moreover, these tools are compatible with cloud data warehouse, ERP, and CRM platforms like Amazon Web Services, Salesforce, and Oracle. Before choosing an ETL tool, you need to ensure that it has a graphical interface to simplify the design and development of ETL processes.
Furthermore, these tools should facilitate automatic code generation to speed development and reduce errors. Above all, these tools need to have built-in data connectors useful for accessing data stored in file format, a database, or packaged application. Apart from these, a good ETL testing tool should have content management facilities along with sophisticated debugging tools. Given below are some of the best ETL tools in the market that you can choose from.
- Datagaps ETL Validator.
- Talend Open Studio for Data Integration.
- Codoid’s ETL Testing Services.
- Data-Centric Testing.
- Test Bench.